Monday, October 18, 2010

Working As A Producer's Assistant

Working in the Audiovisual Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been amazing so far!  I'm very fortunate to be able to work where I work! How many other 18 year-old's can say that they are working in a field that they want to?  Right now I'm specifically working with an awesome producer named Lucas McGraw on Mormon Messages for Youth.

Because these videos are only two to five minutes long, I get to see the whole process.  I get to see pre-production, production, and post production.  


I have learned so much since I've been working with the church.  I've learned some of the lingo people in the industry use.  I've learned more about what a producer does.  I've learned about how we pay people and how to find people with specific talents to do a job (because I have to find people and help prepare their contracts).  I've learned how an idea becomes a script, and how the script turns into a storyboard, and about how all this pre-production stuff gets approved.  I've learned about budgeting, scheduling, and organizing.  I've learned more about editing.  And, I keep learning new skill everyday.  Skill that I continue to use on my job.


I feel very, very fortunate to be able to work where I do.  I am very blessed.  Because I feel so lucky, I'm trying my best to take advantage of what I have.  I try to retain what I learn.  I try to learn quickly.  And, I try to be as productive as possible on the job.  I want people to remember me.  I hope that after I leave on my mission people think of me as the, "guy who got stuff done and got it done fast."  

No comments: